Water Softener Options
Reduce water heating costs by 30% and give your home appliances a longer lifespan with a water softener. First Call carries and installs a selection of high-quality water softeners and high-efficiency reverse osmosis (HERO) systems manufactured by Novo® — a world leader in high-quality water conditioning products that are designed, assembled, and tested in North America.
- Novo® 475 Pro Series Reverse Osmosis System – An affordable RO system, with 4-stage filtration and a 3.0 gallon NSF certified storage tank.
- Novo® High-Efficiency Reverse Osmosis (H.E.R.O.) System – Improves the taste, odour, and appearance of your home’s drinking water and saves money on water delivery services. 75 gallon-per-day (GPD) reverse osmosis membrane wastes virtually no water!
- Novo® 485HTO Water Softener – This unique two-tank system keeps carbon and softening resin separate, which helps to remove more chlorine, chloramines, and organic matter, and allows you to replace the carbon filters without the need to change the resin bed at the same time.
- Novo® 485HE Water Softener – Considered Novo’s premier high-efficiency water softener, the 485HE uses up to 75% less salt and 64% less water compared to less-efficient softeners.
Get the Right Water Softener for Your Home
Call us at 780.464.3337 or fill out our online contact form and one of our representatives will be in touch. We provide free quotes on all system replacements or new installations, and we’ll work with our vendors to make sure you are offered the best possible price. Contact us to learn more about financing options including low monthly payment schedules.
At First Call, customer service is our top priority. We stand behind the quality products we carry and are committed to providing a full range of services to ensure complete satisfaction over the lifespan of your water softening or water purification system. Learn more about the services we provide.
Water Softener FAQs
What is hard water?
While hard water — water with high mineral concentrations such as calcium and magnesium — isn’t bad for your health, it can be really hard on plumbing and appliances. The minerals in hard water build up over time, resulting in reduced water flow and increased stress on pipes, fixtures, and appliance parts.
Mineral scale buildup in appliances such as your water heater will also cause it to operate less efficiently and will reduce the lifespan of parts in your toilet or dishwasher. Hard water also leaves a scaly soap scum on your dishes and can dry out your skin and hair. To put it in perspective, water from the North Saskatchewan River is very hard, at about 165 milligrams of calcium carbonate per litre (165 mg/L) on average. Even after treatment, the water is extremely hard (over 15 grains per gallon or gpg). Ideally, your household water should be below 3 gpg.
Why do I need a water softener?
A water softener uses a process called ion exchange to remove these minerals in your home’s water.
Benefits of a water softener include:
- Easier cleaning of clothes, dishes, bathtubs, and sinks
- Longer lifespan for appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, and toilets
- Reduce water heating costs
- Improved water flow and extend lifespan for plumbing fixtures and pipes
How do water softeners work?
Raw water runs through a bed of sodium-charged ion exchange resin. Calcium and magnesium ions are exchanged with sodium ions. Over time, the exchange resin will contain only calcium and magnesium ions and will need regeneration. A control valve on the water softener monitors water usage and triggers the regeneration process as required.
The resin is backwashed to rinse away impurities and a strong brine solution is then drawn through the bed so that the hardness ions (calcium and magnesium) are exchanged with sodium ions and are then rinsed to the drain. The softener is now ready to soften again.
Ready to get started?
Call us at 780-464-3337, or fill out our online form and one of our representatives will be in touch.Book Today